Rescheduling your wedding?

If you have previously arranged for me to officiate your wedding ceremony and are considering a change to your wedding date due to COVID-19, please let me know as soon as possible to make sure I am still available on your new date.

Even if you have not made a final decision on a date change, I can still hold a backup date for you. This avoids the disappointment of rescheduling your wedding to a date that I'm already booked.

Micro-weddings in the time of COVID-19

You can still get married in-person while satisfying the current provincial restrictions on gatherings. Only 5 people need to be present during a legal marriage ceremony: the couple, the marriage officiant, and 2 witnesses.

The legal limit on social gatherings in Waterloo Region is currently 50 people indoors or 100 people outdoors. I've been performing smaller ceremonies this year (typically 10 to 20 guests) and usually we have a Zoom or Facebook Live stream for others to join online as well.

During the wedding, members of different households should keep 2 metres apart at all times. This can be a challenge. The use of masks covering the nose and mouth is recommended, especially when physical distancing is difficult. You may find some guests are reluctant to wear a mask, and need a gentle reminder that it is respectful toward others. Wearing a mask during a pandemic is an unselfish act that says you care about the health and longevity of everyone around you.

If you are hosting a reception after your ceremony, please keep in mind that buffets and dancing are not permitted under the current emergency order. This is to reduce close mingling among guests. Sit-down meal service and the couple's first dance are still permitted. Your venue will have the most up-to-date information available to share with you.

Some couples are choosing to have a small legal wedding ceremony this year with just immediate family and close friends, followed by a larger celebration or one-year anniversary vow renewal in 2021. Some are calling it a year-long wedding. I would be happy to help you with one or both of your ceremonies.

Where to get a marriage licence

A marriage licence is required before you can get married. You can get your marriage licence from any city hall in Ontario up to 90 days before your wedding date. It does not have to be the same city where your wedding is taking place.

Please plan ahead—due to COVID-19, every city hall is operating differently. Some are temporarily closed, others are heavily booked, most are requiring appointments, some are providing service only to their own residents, each has different requirements for identification, and all are requesting that you fill out the application form online before you go in.

The information below is provided as a guide but always contact the municipality directly to make sure:

Kitchener: Kitchener City Hall is open. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $154.

Waterloo: Waterloo City Hall is open. Click here for more information. No appointment is needed, but call 519-747-8549 before going in. Cost: $149.

Cambridge: Cambridge City Hall is open only to residents of Cambridge. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $165.

Brantford: Brantford City Hall is open only to residents of Brantford, County of Brant, and Six Nations of the Grand River. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $140.

Guelph: Guelph City Hall is open. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $145.

Stratford: Stratford City Hall is closed. You can apply at Perth South (St. Pauls), Perth East (Milverton), North Perth (Listowel), or West Perth (Mitchell) instead.

Hamilton, Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, Stoney Creek: These locations are closed. You can apply at Grimsby or Lincoln instead.

Burlington: Burlington City Hall is open only to residents of Burlington. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $160.65.

Milton: Milton Town Hall is open only to residents of Milton. Click here for an appointment, but plan ahead as they are heavily booked. Cost: $187

Mississauga: The Provincial Offences Courthouse is open. Click here for an appointment. Cost: $140

North York: North York Civic Centre is open. Click here for an appointment, but plan ahead as they are heavily booked. Cost: $145

Toronto, Scarborough, Etobicoke: These locations are closed. You can apply at North York instead.

Rural townships (Wilmot, Centre Wellington, etc.) are generally open, even if they are not listed here. Contact them directly for more information.

Last updated: Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Grand River Weddings

143 Coopershawk St., Kitchener, Ontario, N2K 4J3

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square

Follow us

Grand River Weddings, Grand River Wedding Ceremonies, and We bring good things to love are trademarks of Sassan Sanei. The contents of this website are copyright 2014-2020.